Saturday, June 28, 2008

Territorians told to boot their beer fridges

FOR decades it has been the prized possession of many a Territory back yard or balcony - but the days of the beer fridge could be numbered.

The NT Government is recommending Territorians "retire'' their beer fridges in a bid to tackle climate change.

In a list of "practical actions for NT households'', printed in the Northern Territory News, the Government suggests residents "retire the second fridge or freezer''.

But it seems it could be a case of "do as I say, not as I do'', for Chief Minister Paul Henderson.

"I've got a beer fridge -- as many Territorians do -- and I'm keeping it,'' he said.

"So one of the ways I am going to do my part to tackle climate change is look at its energy efficiency rating to see if it can be improved.''

A Power and Water Corporation brochure suggests Territorians can save up to $200 a year by doing away with their beer fridge.

But Jake McCauley, 24, said the extra money was well and truly worth it.

"It's a small price to pay to be able to have a cold beer in the dry season,'' he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23931215-661,00.html

No comments: